Sunday, January 04, 2009

Clay Aiken Takes Final Bow


BRAVO! -- Amazing_CA's design recollects Clay Aiken's Broadway run as Sir Robin in Spamalot.

Hilarity, Magic, Ovations

A Memorable 'Spamalot' Finale

During Clay Aiken's final Spamalot performance Sunday, The Lady of the Lake sang "Invisible"; the The Knights of Ni incorporated "As Long As We're Here" into their amusing ad-lib; and the singer's fans packed Shubert Alley for his post show appearance, some intoning "Right Here Waiting" in the interim.

Reportedly, the last performance was extraordinary, magical, rollicking fun throughout, filled with hilarious cast-audience interactions and deviations from the scripted flow, thunderous applause for the ensemble, deafening ovations for Clay, and gracious acknowledgement from the stage for the special appreciation.

As confetti and applause rained down, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" rang throughout the theater.


Shubert Theatre, photo by toni7babe

Clay took his triumphant Spamalot bow minus the Sir Robin wig. As the applause ended, Clay knelt down, reached into the orchestra pit, and shook the conductor's hand.

After the show, he appeared briefly on the roof of the Shubert Theatre, waved, blew kisses, and signed "thank you" to those gathered below.

While Clay returns to North Carolina for down time with Jaymes Foster and their son Parker, Spamalot will run one more week before the show's final curtain Sunday, Jan. 11.

Special memories of Broadway continue in prime time on fan message boards. Welcome back, Clay Aiken. The best is yet to come!


A FINAL WEEKEND OF SPAMALOT: Featured in this clickable collection are graphics and photos from the finale weekend. They include Amazing_CA, photo by MBLovesClay, 1; Saturday stage door photo by shineinnc, 2; the opening graphic by ACA, 3; Saturday stage door photo by Invisible926, 4; and ACA, the immediate future, 5.










ADDENDUM: In my normal routine of googling "Clay Aiken" (blogs), Tuesday morning I discovered that part of this blog has been quoted at LALATE. When I clicked on the link for "Clay Aiken SPAMALOT End," I landed in the middle of the piece and casually began reading.

My jaw went into a "slo-mo" drop as I started recognizing my own words. I scrolled back up; and, sure enough, LALATE had quoted a section of this blog. Actually, it's one of my favorite parts from the finale -- where Clay knelt down and shook the music director's hand.

Yesterday I described this gesture to the head of the music academy where I teach twice a week. Orchestral musicians appreciate that kind of thing, and this trombonist's reaction was, "What a class act!"

Have a wonderful week, Clay Nation. The best is yet to come!

Caro


TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , , , , , , ,

13 comments:

Ashes said...

Hi Caro! How can we miss a show we never saw and someone we don't know?? The only possible answer can be the magic of Clay Aiken.

Thank you for the summary of this special Clay day. Now he can have a rest, while setting up a tour for us :)
Have a great week,
Hugs Ashes

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful goodby to Spamalot . I'm so happy that they showed him the love .

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog, as always Caro! What a special day for a very, very special man! I hope that it was all he wanted it to be and more - I know it was for many of us. Like so many others I'm getting in the "TOUR!" "TOUR!" chant line!

Unknown said...

I loved seeing Clay in "Spamalot" last February, he was fabulous!

Broadway and Clay seem to suit each other very well. I have a feeling he'll be back.

Thanks for another great blog.

Jannet said...

Once again... you have found such a beautiful way with words Caro. We will miss him for a while truly!

In the interim... I look forward to watching the growing up of a child named Kai.

Anonymous said...

Great blog Caro! We are going to miss the recaps, pics, and videos from Spamalot, but I can't wait to see what Mr. Aiken has in store for us in 2009!!!! Hopefully a tour!!!!

Ashes said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Caro, I just saw your blog quoted at LaLate News!!

Woo-Hoo!!

Anonymous said...

Caro, LOVE your blogs!
Thank You :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great good-bye to SIr Robin. I am sad to see him go, but very excited to think that Clay has something new and exciting in the future.

I always enjoy your blogs. I love all the artwork and the wonderful, positive message you send.

Anonymous said...

Hi Caro,

I love coming and visiting you...The photo of the Shubert makes me feel like I am right there. I am missing the recaps and stage door photos already.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a tour in 2009.

Hugs,
Marlyne

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog Caro..

I miss Clay Aiken already *sob*

I hope he rests up, spends some quality with his family and then gets ready for, ummm, I dont know, ummm, possibly a TOUR??!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Caro. Thanks for the great review on Spamalot. I love how they incorporated Clays music into their theatrical production. I so wish I could have been there to see that.

PS: Love the snow in your blog. :)

((HUGS))

Kathy/Aspigirl

Anonymous said...

Hi Caro,
Another chapter closes in the Clay fandom. I am looking forward to the next chapter and with you right at the helm of it to always bring us the most up to the minute reports, sightings and all that makes this one of the best blogs ever! Let's hope we don't have a long intermission...I am missing him like crazy already!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Sandy :)