Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aiken Airplay Stops Traffic



O Holy Night - Montage by SueReu


An Unexpected Serenade

Radio Spins Mesmerize Fans


I have read countless message board reports by tremendously excited fans who, upon hearing a Clay Aiken song on the radio, stopped in mid-traffic or blocked a store aisle just to listen.

While driving home from my teaching gig Friday night, the phenomenon finally happened to me. There really is something mesmerizing about hearing the singer's magnificent pipes and song stylings over the air waves. For me, a deer in headlights is quite literally an apt description.

Turning left at a major intersection, I immediately recognized the familiar opening strains of "O Holy Night" and went into full-fledged fan mode facing four fast-approaching lanes of traffic.

Fortunately, the old car got up and went; and Clay serenaded me part of the way home. Thank you, WMAG-FM. Let's do this again soon minus the oncoming cars, of course. How about "Mary, Did You Know?" or "Merry Christmas With Love" next time?

According to Yes.com reports, "O Holy Night" is receiving the most airplay of Clay's Christmas songs with 170 spins on Sunday. Others include "The First Noel," "Mary Did You Know," "Winter Wonderland," "Silver Bells," "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing/O Come All Ye Faithful," "Merry Christmas With Love," "Sleigh Ride," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Joy to the World," and "Don't Save It All for Christmas Day."

SueReu's "O Holy Night" montage, which features the track from Clay's 2004 Merry Christmas With Love album, can also be viewed at
YouTube.


PHOTO INTERLUDE: This clickable interlude mixes 2007 Christmas in the Heartland graphics with current Seasons Greetings. Amazing_CA's designs feature photos by toni7babe, 1; nicki503, 2; and SmartyPantsSuz, 3.







Sunday Cantata a Family Affair

Sunday morning, after rising at the crack of dawn and gyrating through the pantyhose shuffle for an 8 a.m. orchestra call, I with my trusty oboe participated in "A Service of Lessons and Carols" at Jamestown United Methodist Church.

A 30-piece orchestra accompanied my BIL's outstanding 88-member choir and handbell ensemble. The anthems and congregational hymns included traditional favorites as well as less familiar offerings such as "Carol to the King," "I Wonder as I Wander," "Rejoice and Be Merry," "The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy," and "Carol of the Bells."

As usual, Sunday's performance was a family affair with my BIL conducting; my sister and niece playing flute, piccolo, and recorder; and yours truly on oboe. As the program progressed, I couldn't help thinking of our mother, Mama Mac, whom some of you "met" through this blog. Not too many years ago, she would have added her robust alto vocals to the mix.

Later, when mobility became a problem, Mama Mac occupied a front pew for all my BIL's special music presentations. She had to be smiling from the heavenly choir because this "high" Methodist church congregation showed their appreciation with a resounding ovation and a few down home "amens" for good measure.

The week's holiday music programs continue, as my piano and string students will be "concertizing" in my living room Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully, the munchkins are practicing while I work through my cleaning, gift-wrapping, and accompaniment TODO lists.

Have an awesome week, Clay Nation!

Caro


TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

SueReu said...

Well, I too finally heard Clay Aiken on my car radio!! I was sitting in front of my computer, at yes.com, and there was MY STATION!!!

I ran out to the driveway and started my car up, turning the radio up full blast *sorry neighbors, well, not* So gorgeous - he sings O Holy Night the way it should be sung - with passion, emotion and joy (A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn)

GREAT Blog Caro and thank you for using my video!!!

Have a wonderful week!!

Sue

Ashes said...

Woo-hoo for the radio play!
I love reading those reports, they always make me grin with pride.

I wish I could hear the music you make too, it sounds so beautiful when reading about it.

All the best to you and your musical munchkins for the upcoming recital!

Thank you for your visits to my corner :)
Ashes

Unknown said...

Any chance of a YouTube of you & munchkins "concertizing"...someday???

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog. It's always such a pleasure to visit here, love your stories, pictures and music. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Another great blog.

I have been a Clay Aiken fan from the very beginning and I have NEVER heard Clay on the radio. I have occasionally heard him sing in a store and I do stop, even when I am with my husband. But, I would love to know that CLay was on the radio. I guess the San Francisco area thinks its too cool to play Clay!!