Sunday, March 27, 2011

Clay Aiken Fans Embrace New 'OMG Unchained' Video


OMG Unchained - A magical night with Clay Aiken.
View video full screen at YouTube.

Clay Aiken: Tried & True ~ LIVE!

'OMG Unchained' Captures Magic

More than a year after the Raleigh taping of Clay Aiken's Tried & True ~ LIVE! PBS Special in Raleigh, a new video of the singer's signature version of "Unchained Melody" is back in message board headlines around the Net.

Arranged for Clay by Ben Cohn, the special "Unchained Melody" was unveiled at the March 12, 2010, show, dubbed immediately by fans in attendance as the "OMG Concert."

Saturday morning a simple post by cindilu2 spurred the song back into the spotlight when the tweaked version was quickly replicated onto boards throughout Clay Cyberspace. An appropriate headline might be the opening text from the tweaked video:
What it was really like ... to be there on that magical night

One evening this week the "anonymous" audio of "Unchained Melody" from the OMG Concert came up on my player. Still one of the most incredible experiences of my fandom, it got me to thinking again how they just did not capture it on that DVD/special.

I don't know what they did in the engineering of the song; but the sound, the feeling, the experience of being in that room just isn't there. I decided that I needed to see Clay singing what I know I heard that night.

Here's what happened then: OMG Unchained

Just in case it isn't obvious, I replaced the audio with the "OMG" audio, complete with the solid minute of applause at the end.


Clickable Tried & True ~ LIVE graphic by Fountaindawg.

A download of the "OMG Unchained" video will be available at Clack Unlimited this week. Meanwhile, here is a Sendspace video file and a link to the OMG Concert Audio page at CU. Be sure to stop by the Clack Unlimited home page and make a much-needed donation.

Uploaded to YouTube just four days ago, the "new" concert version of the song has received an outpouring of comments. Representative are these four:

A few minutes in time I will never forget.

The whole show, punctuated by this performance, was magic.

An experience I will never forget. Bravo, Clay and Ben!

I got chills all over reliving that wonderful performance. I was there for the filming of this concert, and it was spectacular. Especially this song!


Clickable graphic by Fountaindawg, photos by Jim R. Bounds.

Trio Describes Special UM Moment

Following the taping, concert goers shared glorious accounts of the premiered songs from the then soon-to-be-released Tried & True CD. A reprint from the 5/16/10 Carolina blog included vivid descriptions of the new UM:
luckiest1: I call it the airplane moment ... when he goes low then goes up and up and up in UM. I don't know how to describe it, but it's like nothing he ever did before. I can't wait for everyone to hear it!

cindilu2: And I call it the Supernova Moment. He goes from zero to "holy-#%&#-what-was-that???" in about five seconds. Awesome!

lilyshine: I just call it orgasmic.

Congratulations to the Kentucky Wildcats from this Tar Heel fan! Have an awesome week, Clay Nation!

Caro


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

One handsome and talented dude , Waiting for his return! D. in Wi.

Anonymous said...

Great video and blog. Clay is the best.

Hunter

Anonymous said...

Loved the video...it sure was an OMG moment! I love this version more than the original.

Read your last blog also and it was very enjoyable reading the NJU stories! I wish that Clay was able to tour all the time!

Sad to hear that the Tar Heels lost!

Have a great week Caro!

Sandy

Unknown said...

I streamed the OMG video last night on my TV. Watching it in high-def and listening with surround sound made me forget to breathe!

The power of his performance was something I've never experienced before.

He is truly the most gifted singer I've ever heard...truly.

Cindy said...

Hey Sally!!! (((hugs)))

Experienced is truly the right word when it comes to this performance. It wasn't just hearing or seeing it, it was feeling it right from head to toe. Imagine that kind of power coming through on a recording like this... then imagine it x's infinity and you'll come close to how amazing it really was.

I wish the DVD/PBS people had opted to leave the recording as it was. The whole world could've experienced the real Clay along with us!

Thanks for the amazing blog, Caro!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Caro,

What a wonderful video, it sure was a "OMG Unchained" and a great way to start my morning with the magical voice of Clay.

I am so sorry about the Tar Heels loss. There goes our nephews theory that it would be NC and Ohio in the end.

Have a great week Caro, and AGAIN Thank You for all you do.

Hugs,
Marlyne

Anonymous said...

I just got done watching the OMG video. I cranked the sound up fairly loud, and was amazed at the quality of the sound I heard. I had chills all over my body. What a night, what a moment! Would have given anything to be there. Lois

Anonymous said...

I could not be there the night of the recording...but, I now know why everybody named it The OMG! Concert.

What a man...What a voice. Spectacular!!!

Anonymous said...

I just love Clay....always have, always will!! He is so adorable and his version of this and the way he sang it just gave me chills!! I hope he knows how special he is!! God bless Clay always!!

barb 55 said...

Caro, what an awesome blog! I simply loved the video. Between the tenderness and the power in his voice, it truly brings tears to my eyes. Loved reading the fans' comments, too. It would have been a gift to have been there to hear him sing live. This version of UM has become one of my all time favorite songs that he has recorded.

As I watched this video, it made me think of the judges' comments on AI this year when they offer advice to the contestants. If they could only see Clay on stage performing and singing UM. What an amazing example he would be to the contestants! I'm sure the judges would have a jaw-dropping moment, too!

Thanks for sharing this beautiful entry with us. It made my day!

Take care and enjoy your week!

Love and hugs, ♥♥
Barbara :-)

Anonymous said...

oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.... I got goose bump all over my body.
My God Caro, that's truly amazing. I have T&T video but it totally nothing compare to this clip. Oh my oh my oh my ....
how I love this voice & the owner ;). So powerful
Thanks a lot to let us know through your blog.... I really have an unending amazementment to this clip..really ... oh my oh my oh my .... :)

***Puteri. Indonesia