Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Clay Aiken Concert a Smash Hit in Houston


Clay Aiken in stunning performance of 'In My Life.'
View video by Scarlett full screen at YouTube.

A Night To Remember

Houston Concert Valentine Treat

Clay Aiken's Tried & True Tour scored a smash hit in Houston's Jones Hall for the Performing Arts on Valentine's Night.

Fan recaps and concert clack are still coming in, but Feb. 14, 2011, was a night to remember. Paralleling the magnificent vocals were the ever-present grins. Even the beautiful opening video, which actually comes near the end of the concert, provided a comical aside.

It's a wonder Scarlett was was able to capture the song. In a post-concert conversation, she explained, "I had to lean over a fan whom I hadn't seen in a while. I was practically sprawled over her just to get IML, but I think it turned out great."

That it did! Many thanks to all the videographers, photographers, and concert attendees who share their experiences with message board fans. Below are a few that help replay the Houston concert.


EmeraldEyes: Clay Aiken threw me up against the wall and had his way with me for two hours. It was sublime. We had best seats ever. Second row dead center. Some of the first row seats were obstructed by the speakers. Poor Scarlett had to act the part of a contortionist to get video.
You know how vocally awesome Clay was. The one thing you won't get on a cellcert is the magnificence of the "Theme from Love Story." It was fascinating watching him press out those notes that bounced off the walls of Jones Hall with such force that I thought we would be flattened like pancakes.

When you're in the audience, all you hear is a totally amazing vocal instrument. Clack does not do the voice justice. I had forgotten how great Clay's voice really is. You would be hard-pressed to find a singer that can do what Clay does for two hours straight, practically night after night, with total perfection.

Other random thoughts: Quiana is a beautiful woman; she and Clay really do have a special relationship that shows on stage ... Clay's lead-in chat to "In My Life" was very poignant ... There was a better turn-out than I was expecting with those ticket prices.

Clay joked several times at the sparseness of the audience: "tried to get the Astrodome" and "we could "all fit up on stage," after which he shook his head. He was probably afraid some fans would take him up on that.

Starbrite: I was at Jones Hall, 4th row seats, dead center. The best seats I've ever had at this venue!
Clay was fabulous, and I honestly believe this was the best I've ever heard him. He was so relaxed and funny. His hair looked great, and I just loved the sweater and tie.

"Solitaire" absolutely brought me to tears. This was to be my only concert, but now I'm considering going to Dallas in March. I think I really need to experience this again.


Clay closed Houston concert with 'Solitaire.'
View video by Scarlett full screen at YouTube.

jojobugs: The concert last night was fantastic. I was at the PBS meet and greet. While taking the photos, Clay asked where we were from; and we said, "Houston." On mine, I added Northern England; so he answered in his cute English accent.
The man is just gorgeous. My friend's daughter, who is 17, cried getting her photo taken. The photo is now her avatar on Facebook.

I was at the concert with my husband and was pleased that Clay sang "Something About Us," as this is his favorite song off the On My Way Here CD.

I loved every second of the concert. He sings the songs from the heart. I cried during Unchained Melody; it was beautiful. I loved Quiana singing "A Foggy Day In London Town."

katymom: When Clay walked out and started singing, it was the most glorious sound and sight. Love Story was amazing. The power quivered my insides.
Whether he was unleashing a glory note or caressing a note like a gentle lover, the audience gave him rapt attention. I heard a man behind me saying, "There isn't a pop singer who can do this with his voice."

"Unchained Melody" is now his song, just like "Solitaire." He graciously thanked Ben for the arrangement, but he made it his. I appreciate that he appreciates that he and Quiana can sing, unlike those who have to use autotune. That man can sing, and his confidence exudes from him.

clayrevolution1956: The concert was wonderful! I am one who was not crazy about the album, but the show was fantastic. Clay was in fine voice. Solitaire blew everyone away at the end, and he got a standing ovation.
After the show, about 25-30 fans/NJU, about six of whom were men, waited at the stage door. I know he hasn't been doing the bus lines, but there seemed to be some folks there who wanted his autograph. Some of the musicians came out and we told them we enjoyed the show.

When Clay appeared, everyone cheered and applauded and said, "Great show!" People started asking for him to sign things. Well, I have a signed Playbill, but I had never gotten a hand shake.

When he got to me and looked at me with his pen in his hand, poised to sign, I said, "Clay, could I shake your hand?" Since he had the pen in his right hand, he grasped my hand with his left hand. Eeeeeee! I finally shook Clay's hand!! And my travel buddy got one, too!






Houston concert photos by Groovehouse.
The middle picture is clickable.

Aiken Stays True to the Music

Prior to the concert, there was an excellent story that I linked as an after-thought in the Valentine entry. Aiken Stays True to the Music by Michael D. Clark is a "must read" for fans. Here is an excerpt:
With his latest album, Tried and True, he has finally found his niche, reworking classic tunes from the '50s and '60s like "Mack the Knife" and "Unchained Melody."

When Aiken's tried and true was released last summer, Tried and True debuted at No. 9 on the Billboard 200 albums. That's high enough to make Michael Buble notice the competition.

The Houston Press reviewer, whose beat is normally rock shows, gave Clay props, especially for the tastefully arranged 'Unchained Melody' that showcases Aiken's wide vocal range. Three photos from the accompanying slideshow are posted above.

Have an awesome week, Clay Nation!


Caro

7 comments:

chel4clay said...

Love all the pictures and comments coming in from the concerts. Looking forward to hearing him in person.

Unknown said...

One more sleep for me and I'll be meeting Clay for the first time.

Clay may not be filling the venues, but he's sure filling our hearts to overflowing.

Thanks for keeping us all updated, Caro.

Anonymous said...

I agree Clay is filling our hearts and he is singing great! Enjoyed that video and so happy for the clack ppl !! Thanks so much , can not thank them enough! And Clay! And U Caro, enjoying the wonderful Clay stuff'... D. in Wi.

Cynthia J. Coleman said...

Excellent post! I can't believe that I'll be seeing Clay in concert in less than 24 hours.

Anonymous said...

Dear Caro,
thanks a lot for the recap. Watching these 2 clacks.. remind me why I love him so much.
It's like a refreshment of how amazing & wonderful his voice is ...
Oh I love his voice soooo much ...

Dear Scarlet (hope you read it),
thank you so much for the clacks... you really did a wonderful job. Your clacks made us who far away from US can feel the joy of attending this show. thank you verymuch Scarlet.

Last but not least... I really hope that Clay keeps singing.. keeps singing far away into the future.. wish him a successful career in entertainment business. I really wish to collect 10, 20, 30different CD, DVD, etc2 of his, regardless the song type or the genre... as long as it's his voice & ... himself :)

***Puteri from Indonesia

Sandy said...

Great recaps! Reading them sure makes you want to jump on the next plane to get to the next concert - quickly! Just sad that this is a winter tour and not a spring or summer tour! Keeping my fingers crossed something comes up this summer!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Caro,

Just came back to finish this great blog and you already have a new one in.....Awesome!!!!

Love Scarlett's video as always.....you ALL are wonderful!!!

Off to the next blog....

Hugs,
Marlyne